Who says selfies are just for fun?! At Uber, selfies are part of a new safety feature called Real-Time ID Check which uses driver selfies at the time they accept a rider to ensure they are in fact the driver on file with that Uber account.
Here’s how it works:
- Drivers are asked periodically to take a selfie in the Uber app before they accept rides.
- Uber then uses Microsoft’s Cognitive Service to instantly compare this photo to the one corresponding with the account on file.
- If the two photos don’t match, the account is temporarily blocked while we look into the situation.
In addition to the selfie feature, here are a few other innovative safety features you can find at Uber:
Dangerous Driver Prevention:
- Uber uses GPS and smartphone technology to detect and prevent dangerous driving behavior such as fast acceleration and hard breaking.
- Riders receive their driver’s name, photo and vehicle information to ensure they get into the right car with the right driver.
- Let’s riders share their journey on a map with friends and family to alert them of their status and ETA at their destination.
Uber is constantly developing and testing features and functionality to prevent and reduce risks and keep riders and drivers safe and secure.